‘Get Fit’ Health Walk
9:30am to 3:00pm
Cadman Park Plaza West & Tillary Street, 11201
United in their respective missions to provide healthier solutions to NYC residents, Catalyst Cares and Wholesome Wave have partnered to kick-off NYC Gets Fresh! week with a community health walk, and a food and music festival. The Health Walk, sponsored by Let’s Move! Brooklyn will start at 9:30am, and depart at 10:30am for the scenic mile-long Brooklyn Bridge to kick-off Let’s Move! NYC. After the Health Walk participants will enjoy free music from DJ Reborn from 12-3pm.
Throughout NYC Gets Fresh! week, dozens of restaurants that source from local farmers, such as Roberta’s and Rouge Tomate, will participate in the activities. Wholesome Wave is a national nonprofit, founded by James Beard award-winning chef Michel Nischan, that helps undeserved communities gain access to fresh locally grown food at affordable prices.
- Goal of Get Fit! Health Walk: Promote active living and healthy eating in a fun and celebratory community environment and introduce Let’s Move! NYC
- Audience: 100-200 walkers and festival attendees; Expect media coverage from NYTimes, WABC Radio and other media outlets.
- Invited Special Guests and Elected Officials: Council Member Letitia James, Michel Nischan, Rick Luftglass, Kim Kessler and Jennifer Johns
- Location & Timing: Sunday August 19th from 9:30-3pm Brooklyn Korean War Veterans Plaza, Cadman Plaza West & Tillary Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- 9:30-10:15am: Registration (2 Locations)
- Brooklyn Registration: Korean War Veterans Plaza, Brooklyn Side Manhattan Registration: Base of Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Side
- 10:20-10:30am: Kick-off Speech Council Member Letitia James
- 10:30-12:00pm: Get Fit! Health Walk Let’s Move! Brooklyn to lead the walk from the Brooklyn Korean War Veterans Plaza and proceed across the Brooklyn Bridge; 10:50am Greet the Let’s Move! NYC walkers and return across the bridge to Brooklyn Korean War Veterans Plaza.
- 12:00-3:00pm: Post-Walk Celebration Following the walk Welcome Address by Special Guest Michel Nischan and Letitia James. Health Walk participants will be treated to free music by DJ Reborn and DJ Trauma!
We hope to see you at the event on Sunday August 19th!
Please sign-up to be alerted about final event details.
For information about Wholesome Wave’s NYC Gets Fresh! festival activities please see Wholesome Wave NYC Gets Fresh Farm-to-Table Restaurant Week.